Tuesday, March 2, 2010

NEED TO KNOW MORE ABOUT OUR HERPETOFAUNA

After coming to 'College Of Forestry' i start thinking of being a taxonomist, and too studying about our hepetofauna.Actually being with two outstanding personalities gave this interest to me.One was Dr.E Kunjikrishnan sir, who is the professor and head of the zoology department in the Kerala university main college, Thiruvananthapuram. A person whom i wish to be with me when i go to a forest.A person whom i wish to be my roll-model in the field of studying the life forms around us and conserving it. The other was a friend from Mysore, Vivek Philip, who is doing his BSc degree in zoology. Actually he is the person who introduced me to the field of herpetofauna. The first person who told me about the book 'Fauna Of British India, reptiles and amphibians . This all happened during a butterfly census at Wayanad forest. Now i concentrate on reptiles. There is lot to discover, more new data to collect. I know that taxonomy is a very difficult area which should be done seriously. I dream that lot new will be revealed in the coming days...........

1 comment:

  1. Its very true, Herpetofauna studies is one of the most neglected of all the vertebrates. As long as people dont take serious measure, we might loose several of our amphibians and reptiles.
    I'm also very happy to know that i was also responsible for inducing the interest in Jobin cheeta.
    All the best in your conservation efforts.

    ReplyDelete